Works of Hope seeks handmade, donated art for elderly care patient’s bedsides
CONTRA COSTA COUNTY, CA (July 13, 2022) — Help Hope Hospice bring joy to patients through the gift of art. They invite individuals from our local communities to create or donate existing artwork that will be distributed to patients living in Tri-Valley care facilities.
The 2022 art drive is open through August 19. Individuals should visit HopeHospice.com/art and complete the online interest form. The team will reach out to you to communicate next steps.
The Works of Hope art drive was a project born during the height of the pandemic. Sidelined from face-to-face patient visits, our volunteers wanted to find creative ways to bless and cheer our patients from home. They solicited donations of art from community members that would be delivered to their patients.
Hope Hospice has made some adjustments to the Works of Hope program to help clarify what works best for the hospice setting.
Types of artwork
The program is open to all types of artwork with the following qualities in mind.
- Sizes:Items of about 4×4 inches that can be displayed on a bedside table or other small space are ideal. Ready-to-hang wall art should be less than 14 inches on the longest edge.
- Mediums:Paintings, drawings, photography, sculptures and other 3D objects. Please see notes online about connecting with the program facilitators in advance to discuss your work.
- Subjects:Many of the elderly patients are living with at least some level of dementia and may have difficulty understanding abstract images. Landscapes and simple representations are best for the hospice patient. Patients come from a variety of religious backgrounds or may not claim any religious affiliation; since they aren’t always sure of an individual’s spiritual connection, it’s best to avoid pieces with distinct religious themes.
I’m not artistic! How else can I help?
Not artsy? No problem. Here are some other ways you can help with this program.
- Recruit friends, family, fellow artists, or members of the community to participate.
- Volunteer to handwrite friendly letters to accompany the artworks.
Where do I donate?
To contribute artwork, complete the interest form at HopeHospice.com/art and submit a photo of your plan. A program team member will connect with you on next steps.
Connect with program facilitators at email@example.com or (925) 829-8770.