The Pioneer extends a warm invitation to families, friends, and communities to memorialize their departed through obituaries and In Memoriam.
Cost is $1 per word; minimum $250. Includes a photo.
Submit in a text format (Word doc preferred) by email to email@example.com. Attach the photo as a high resolution jpg (1MB or larger) or PDF.
Include all contact info: Name of person submitting, billing name and address, phone number, email address.
Payment by check is preferred. For credit card payment, add 3.5%.
For questions, call Tamara Steiner at (925) 285-8612; or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Creating an Obituary for Newspaper Publication
Losing a loved one is never easy, and writing an obituary for newspaper publication is a heartfelt way to remember and honor them. Here’s a guide on how to craft a meaningful obituary:
Gather Essential Information:
- Full Name of the Deceased
- Date of Birth and Date of Passing
- Place of Residence and Death
- Surviving Family Members (Spouse, Children, Grandchildren, etc.)
- Predeceased Family Members
- Education and Career Highlights
- Achievements and Hobbies
Write a Compelling Opening Line:
- Begin with a memorable line that describes the essence of the person’s life. This sets the tone for the obituary.
Create a Chronological Narrative:
- Outline the significant milestones in the person’s life, such as education, career, marriage, and children.
Share Personal Details:
- Highlight personal interests, hobbies, and community involvement. This adds depth to the obituary.
Mention Surviving Family:
- List surviving family members and their relationships to the deceased.
Mention Predeceased Family:
- If applicable, mention family members who predeceased the deceased.
Include Funeral/Services Information:
- Specify the date, time, and location of the memorial service or funeral.
Proofread and Edit:
- Review your obituary for accuracy, clarity, and grammar. Ensure all names and dates are correct.
Attach a High-Resolution Photo:
- Newspapers often allow you to include a photo. Attach a high-resolution image in a JPG or PDF format that reflects the person’s character. Minimum size is 1MB.
Submission to the Newspaper:
- Email your obituary with the photo attached to email@example.com
Respect Privacy and Sensitivity:
- Be mindful of privacy and sensitive issues, and ensure you have the necessary permissions from the family.
Seek Assistance if Needed:
- Don’t hesitate to seek help from friends, family, or professionals if you find the task emotionally challenging.
Crafting an obituary is a meaningful way to pay tribute to a loved one. When well-written, it serves as a lasting memory in the hearts of those who read it and celebrates the life of the departed.