Contra Costa Superintendent of Schools delivers message on school shootings
CONTRA COSTA COUNTY, CA (Mar. 29, 2023) — Again, I am reaching out with a heavy heart to share resources after another senseless and devastating school shooting. I want to extend my deepest sympathies to the Covenant School community in Nashville. No matter the reason or rationale, the lives of three young people and three adults have been extinguished in another act of gun violence.
I am tired of sending these messages, but it is important to realize that incidents of gun violence and death can affect students, families and staff at the schools in Contra Costa County, no matter how far away the incident may seem.
Contra Costa County Office of Education (CCCOE) has put together a list of resources to provide educators, parents and guardians support in talking with students about gun violence, their safety and their feelings. Included in this list are resources for adults to care for themselves as well.
Support for Children and Schools
- A Checklist for School Personnel to Evaluate and Implement the Mental Health Component of Your School Crisis and Emergency Plan
- Helping Youth After Community Trauma: Tips for Educators
- School Violence Prevention: Guidelines for Administrators and Crisis Teams
- Talking to Children about the Shooting (The National Child Traumatic Stress Network)
- Talking to Children About Violence: Tips for Parents and Teachers (National Association of School Psychologists)
- Talking to Children About Violence: Tips for Parents and Teachers (Resources in multiple languages)
Support for Adults and Caregivers
- Coping in the Aftermath of a Shooting (American Counseling Association)
- Trauma and Disaster Mental Health (American Counseling Association)
- Managing your distress in the aftermath of a shooting (American Psychological Association)
As always, if you or someone you know is experiencing a mental or emotional crisis, you can contact the Contra Costa Crisis Center at 1-800-833-2900.
Superintendent of Schools
Contra Costa County