CONTRA COSTA COUNTY, CA (June 22, 2021) — The Contra Costa County Board of Supervisors seeks applicants for its 20-member Juvenile Justice Coordinating Council (JJCC). The JJCC currently has vacancies for two At-Large Youth Representatives.
The Juvenile Justice Coordinating Council is a multiagency advisory body that informs the development and implementation of a countywide juvenile justice plan composed of several critical parts, including, but not limited to an assessment of existing law enforcement, probation, education, mental health, health, social services, drug and alcohol, and youth services resources, which specifically target both at-promise as well as system-involved youth, and their families.
The JJCC will also coordinate on a countywide basis the work of those governmental and non-governmental organizations engaged in activities designed to reduce the incidence of juvenile crime and delinquency in the greater community, develop information and intelligence-sharing systems to ensure that county actions are fully coordinated, and provide data and appropriate outcome measures.
The Juvenile Justice Coordinating Council has 20 members:
Ten Ex‐Officio Members:
- Chief Probation Officer, as Chair
- District Attorney’s Office representative
- Public Defender’s Office representative
- Sheriff’s Office representative
- Board of Supervisors’ representative
- Employment and Human Services Department representative
- Behavioral Health Services representative
- Alcohol and Other Drugs Division representative
- Public Health representative
- Juvenile Justice Commission Chair
Ten Additional Members, appointed by the Board of Supervisors, as follows:
- City Police Department representative
- County Office of Education or a School District representative
- Four At-Large members, residing or working within County of Contra Costa
- Two Community-Based Organization representatives
- Two At-Large youth, fourteen to twenty-five years old and residing or working within County of Contra Costa
Appointments to the Juvenile Justice Coordinating Council will be for a term of two years. The JJCC meets monthly October through April, and bi-monthly the remainder of the year. Members have the option to serve on two subcommittees that each currently meet on a monthly basis.
Submit applications by 5 p.m. on July 9, 2021. The Board of Supervisors’ Public Protection Committee will invite all timely applicants to the public interview process. Currently the committee includes Supervisors Candace Andersen, District II, and Federal Glover, District V. This committee will then recommend a selection of applicants for Board of Supervisors to appoint to the Racial Justice Oversight Body.
The recruitment process to fill the two vacant JJCC seats follows this timeline:
- July 9: Final Day of the Application Period, due by 5:00 p.m.
- July 26: Public Protection Committee Meeting Interviews
- August 10: Board of Supervisors Appointments
Obtain Application forms from the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors by calling (925) 655-2000 or visiting the County webpage. Submit completed applications online or by email to ClerkoftheBoard@cob.cccounty.us. You can also mail applications to the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors Office at 1025 Escobar Street, 1st Floor, Martinez, CA 94553.