CONTRA COSTA COUNTY, CA (Jan. 9, 2023) — Contra Costa Health Services seeks volunteers to help identify people experiencing unsheltered homelessness. The event happens on Wed., January 25, for the 2023 homeless Point in Time Count.
Mandatory volunteer trainings will take place this week (Jan. 9-13) so please sign up today.
Volunteers will be:
- Asked to participate in a drive-through canvassing to identify and count the unsheltered population across the entire geography of Contra Costa County between 5:30 a.m. and 9:00 a.m., Wednesday 1/25.
- Able to select the area they canvas (with some limitations)
- Asked to sign up with a partner (if you do not have a partner to do the PIT with, one will be assigned to you)
- Required to complete a volunteer training the week of January 9th or a virtual training the week of January 16th.
- Not be engaging directly with individuals experiencing homelessness during the count.
- Monday, 1/9 from 1:00 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. in Concord
- Thursday, 1/12 from 10:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. in Brentwood
- Friday, 1/13 from 10:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. in San Pablo
- Thursday, 1/18 from 9:00 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.
Training and preparation
The County also needs volunteers for in the weeks leading up to January 25 to:
- Collect or prepare hygiene kits that may be distributed during the PIT surveys
- Seek donations for coffee/food for kick-off events the day of the Count:
- Pick up coffee and food for kick-off sites the morning of the PIT Count observations (Wednesday, January 25th, between 5:00 a.m. – 5:30 a.m.)
- Take high-quality photos, with consent, of the PIT Count at the kick-off sites and/or at sheltered and unsheltered locations
To register as a volunteer, please fill out the short survey using the “Register” button below. More information about safety considerations, training materials, and your route assignment will come as part of the registration process.
For the most up-to-date information about the Point in Time Count, go to the website. This website will be updated at least weekly, so be sure to click “follow” at the bottom of the page to get emails with new information.
For questions about volunteer participation, please email Contra Costa Health Services.