CONCORD, CA (July 11, 2023) — In an effort to curb youth access to dangerous tobacco products, the City Council recently updated its Tobacco Retailer Ordinance. The regulations take effect on Oct. 11, 2023, and will be actively enforced by the Concord Police Department.
Under the revised provisions, tobacco retailers may NOT:
- Sell tobacco products through self-service displays
- Sell tobacco products via mobile vending, which includes internet sales
- Sell any type of flavored tobacco products; excepting:
- Hookah lounges may sell hookah products for onsite use and consumption only; and
- Tobacco Retailers may sell premium flavored cigars costing $12 or more
- Sell electronic smoking devices and products (includes e-cigarettes, e-cigars, e-pipes, vape pens, and e-hookahs)
- Offer or accept coupons or provide free or discounted tobacco products
- Sell any cigar unless it is sold in a package of at least 10 and at least $10 per package; excepting:
- Single cigars may be sold at a price of at least $5 inc. taxes
- Sell any cigarette unless it is sold in a package of at least 20 and at a price of at least $10 inc. taxes
To learn more about smoking and tobacco regulations, please visit cityofconcord.org/tobacco.