Concord City Council Allocates $7M in Federal Funding to Local Nonprofits

CONCORD, CA (Mar. 8, 2023) — At its March 7 meeting, the Concord City Council allocated $7 million in one-time federal funds to 22 local nonprofits serving the Concord community. The funds come from the overall $27 million that Concord received as part of the American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA).

“As a City that benefits from the contributions of so many wonderful nonprofit organizations, we are grateful for this unique, one-time opportunity to make a significant investment in their work,” said Concord Mayor Laura Hoffmeister.

“Selecting the 22 recipients and allocating the $7 million was not an easy task,” she said. “There are many worthy organizations who make a big difference in the lives of our residents.”

The City received 70 eligible grant applications, with a combined funding request of $34.4 million.

In September 2022, Council appointed an ad hoc committee consisting of then-Mayor Dominic Aliano and Hoffmeister. The two reviewed all applications, which were submitted by Oct. 28, 2022. All applicants were then invited to participate in interviews with the ad hoc committee. Each ad hoc committee member scored each application based on a 100-point rubric, with 200 total points possible when scoring sheets were combined.

The 22 organizations selected for funding will receive grants ranging from $50,000 to $1.5 million. The City will distribute 80% initially, with the remaining 20% at a later date. Recipients must spend the funds by December 2024. The City will require documentation and follow up to ensure the funds were spent as intended.

List of recipients

Applicant Project Name Allocation
Bay Area Crisis Nursery Bay Area Crisis Nursery $75,000
BD Performing Arts BDPA Community Arts Programs $100,000
Cancer Support Community SF Bay Area Cancer Support Programs $50,000
Community Youth Center (CYC) of Concord Community Youth Center (CYC) of Concord Facilities Upgrade $1,500,000
Concord Historical Society Concord Heritage Center and History Museum $496,000
Contra Costa Economic Partnership (CCEP) Career Exposure Through Work-based Learning $200,000
Dentists on Wheels Pittsburg Free Dental Clinic at St. Vincent de Paul Dentist on Wheels Expansion Plan $200,000
Diablo Ballet Diablo Ballet Annual Season Programming and Educational Outreach in Concord $139,000
Friends Of Camp Concord Outdoor Equity – Camp Concord $180,000
Futures Explored, Inc. The Artist’s Den $150,000
Japanese American Religious and Cultural Center JARCC & Diablo JA Club Building Renovation and Centennial Documentary Film 2026 $215,000
La Clinica de La Raza, Inc. La Clinica Monument Medical Project $58,000
La Clinica de La Raza, Inc. Monument Optometry $500,000
Leaven Kids Leaven Kids Concord Centers $105,000
Meals on Wheels Diablo Region Breakfast Bags & Cultural Cuisine $700,000
Mindful Life Project Mindfulness for Concord Schools $111,000
Monument Impact Monument Families Recovery Program (MFRP) $1,500,000
Mt. Diablo Education Foundation Outdoor Educational Equity for Concord Students $58,000
Visit Concord Visit Concord Non-Profit Application $200,000
Visit Concord, CA Visit Concord Non-Profit Application- Accessible Concord $50,000
WHITE PONY EXPRESS Food Rescue Program $200,000
Yours Humanly Early Literacy Support for Concord Elementary Schools $213,000

View the complete staff report with full project descriptions and additional details.