MDUSD‘s Community Speakers Series is provided to families as an activity to support goals of the district’s Local Control Accountability Plan (LCAP). As part of the key goal for Parent/Family & Community Engagement, parents, families and community members will be informed, engaged, and empowered as partners with MDUSD to support student learning.
The series begins Wednesday, Oct. 23, from 6-8 p.m. at Foothill Middle School, 2775 Cedro Lane, Walnut Creek (Get directions).
The first in this year’s series – “Wellness and Nutrition in Mt. Diablo Unified.” – with chef and MDUSD Food Services Director, Dominic Machi, to learn about the District’s innovative student nutrition program and menus, pending initiatives, and how we are improving upon federal school lunch standards. These include:
- Pending work to become EatREAL Certified, demonstrating through a third party that MDUSD has exemplary health and sustainability practices, including eliminating 85 preservatives and other ingredients from our menus in order to improve the quality and nutrition of our meals
- Eliminating foods from our menu that include added sugars
- Increasing the amount of made-from-scratch meals
- Increasing the use of bakery, produce, and meats from local and organic local farms and distributors
- Increasing the availability of plant-based, vegetarian, and vegan menu options
- Serving 100% whole-grain items daily
- Serving non-fat and low-fat milk daily
Currently, MDUSD prepares bread dough daily, including for its iconic “Mt. Diablo Famous Zombie” breakfast biscuit, cinnamon buns, scones, and cheesy bread. Fresh pastas and soups are also prepared on-site for daily menus. Organic produce is harvested from school-based gardens and brought in from local farmers daily as well.
Upcoming Community Speaker Series events
Wednesday, Dec. 11 – Vaping/Tobacco Use Prevention
Wednesday, Jan. 22 – Social Media Effects and Challenges
Students, parents, and staff are welcome at all events. Translation services will be provided. For more information, call (925) 682-8000, ext. 4016.
- CVCHS renewal decision coming before year’s end
- 9th annual Scare Away Hunger at Concord High Halloween Night
- Information Days, Open Houses Scheduled for 2020-21 school year
- Learn about latest by-trustee area draft maps and new draft election sequencing plans
- Request period for MDUSD intradistrict transfers opens Oct. 15