The communities of my Senate district have sacrificed jobs, businesses, classroom instruction time, school graduations, dining out and so many more basic aspects of our lives. We’ve endured long lines, empty store shelves, the inability to visit loved ones and the fear of the unknown.
We are all working together under shelter in place orders, practicing social distancing and taking protective measures such as wearing masks in public. We have weathered so much, and for that I’ve been grateful. But we are still seeking a healthy and safe ending to this, and for that, we’ll need more patience.
Throughout this time, I’ve tried to be helpful by hosting coronavirus telephone town halls – I’m up to 19 of them now. I hope they’ve been informative to those seeking answers to so many difficult questions. I have included Bay Area leaders and experts in health, education, business and other fields to answer questions about COVID-19 and its impact on our community.
To listen to my talks, visit my website at https://sd07.senate.ca.gov/ and go to the Town Hall Archives. Here is a list:
- The future of restaurants.
- New tools to warn people about exposure to COVID-19.
- How are journalists reporting during COVID-19?
- What’s in the latest stay at home order?
- Are nursing homes safe?
- Is our fresh food supply chain breaking down?
- Is testing the way out of stay at home orders?
- New discoveries about COVID-19.
- Distance learning tips for parents.
- Unemployment and medical leave benefits.
- Grocery/pharmacy shopping, home delivery and store curbside pick-up.
- Small business relief.
- Pet safety.
- Coping with stress from the pandemic.
- The unfolding health crisis, with Sen. Richard Pan, M.D.
- Food and grocery supply chain and product shortages.
- School shutdowns.
- Hospital capacity and preparedness.
- The nature of the virus and the public health response.
I understand how difficult this time has been for you, your family and friends. We are all in this together.
Our communities of the Senate district have done a great job of helping lower the number of infections. And I hope to continue to explore ways to minimize the impacts so we can ultimately return to a normal way of life.
If you have suggestions for topics you’d like to hear about in future virtual town halls, please write to me at email@example.com.
Steve Glazer is the California State Senator representing the 7th Senate District.