CONTRA COSTA COUNTY, CA — COVID-19 vaccination clinics operated by Contra Costa Health Services (CCHS) on school campuses this summer will now also provide no-cost immunizations for tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis (Tdap) upon request.
Tdap is a required immunization for students entering the seventh grade in California, and the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) also recommends a Tdap booster every 10 years for adults. Tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis are severe infections that, before widespread vaccination campaigns, would cause tens of thousands of deaths each year in the U.S., primarily in young children.
“With school-age students and their families now visiting our COVID-19 vaccination clinics at campuses around the county, now is the time to get ready for fall and make sure all of your required school immunizations are up to date,” said Dr. Chris Farnitano, Contra Costa County’s health officer.
Anyone who is 12 or older can receive a safe, effective, no-cost COVID-19 vaccine in Contra Costa County. The current health guidance from the CDC and CCHS supports patients receiving COVID-19 vaccine at the same time as other vaccinations, including children.
School-based vaccination clinics in the county are open from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. from Tuesday to Saturday and do not require appointments, though patients who wish to reserve a time can do so by scheduling on the CCHS appointment page or phoning 833-829-2626.
Patients younger than 18 do require consent from a parent or guardian to get vaccinated – more information and downloadable consent forms are available at the clinics or the CCHS Get Vaccinated page.
Tdap boosters are available at clinics staffed by Contra Costa Health Services, including:
- June 8 to June 12: Antioch Middle, De Anza High (Richmond), California High (San Ramon), Las Lomas High (Walnut Creek)
- June 15 to June 19: Dougherty Valley High (San Ramon), Helms Middle (San Pablo), Pinole Valley High (Pinole), Pittsburg High
- June 22 to June 26: Acalanes High (Lafayette), Dallas Ranch Middle (Antioch), Kennedy High (Richmond), San Ramon Valley High (Danville)
- June 29 to July 3: California High (San Ramon), De Anza High (Richmond), Las Lomas High (Walnut Creek)
- July 6 to July 10: Helms Middle (San Pablo), Dougherty Valley High (San Ramon)
- July 13 to July 17: San Ramon Valley High (Danville)
More information about coronavirus and vaccine is available at cchealth.org/coronavirus.